She was co-editor with Frank Leslie Cross of the first edition of The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church in 1957 and continued as editor of later editions after Cross's death in 1968. She is also the editor of The Concise Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church.
She organised the Oxford International Conferences on Patristic Studies from 1969 to 1995, and also edited the record of the proceedings published as Studia Patristica.
In the 1986 New Year Honours, Livingstone was appointed a Member of the Order of the British Empire for "services to Patristic Studies". She was one of four people to be awarded the President's Medal of the British Academy in 2015.
- Cross, F. L.; Livingstone, E. A., eds. (1997). The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church (3rd ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0192116550.
- "Home - Meet the Staff". St. Stephen's House Common Room.
- "Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church - Oxford Reference". oxfordreference.com. Oxford University Press. 2005. doi:10.1093/acref/9780192802903.001.0001. ISBN 9780192802903.
- "Concise Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church - Oxford Reference". oxfordreference.com. Oxford University Press. 2006. doi:10.1093/acref/9780198614425.001.0001. ISBN 9780198614425.
- "No. 50361". The London Gazette (Supplement). 30 December 1985. pp. 11–14.
- "The British Academy President's Medal". British Academy.
- "UK News in Brief". Church Times. 2 October 2015. Retrieved 8 April 2018.