Baker Publishing Group is a Christian book publisher that discusses historic Christian happenings for its evangelical readers. It is based in Ada, Michigan and has six subdivisions; namely Bethany House, Revell, Baker Books, Baker Academic, Chosen, and Brazos Press.
The company was founded in 1939 by Herman Baker in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The company mainly publishes content that covers many issues ranging from family life to theology, mostly within a broad evangelical framework.
Furthermore, Baker also publishes books and ministry resources for pastors and church leaders, concentrating on topics such as preaching, worship, pastoral ministries, counseling and leadership. Apart from that, they also publish content for lay Christians on topics such as discipleship, spirituality, encouragement, relationships, marriage, parenting and the intersection of Christianity and culture.
In June 2014, Baker announced that it had acquired the publishing rights for Regal Books from Gospel Light.
Baker is regarded as a "pioneer" in publishing Christian fiction.
The Fleming H. Revell Company was established in 1870 by Christian Evangelist D.L. Moody and his brother-in-law, Fleming H. Revell. The two men identified a market for practical books that would help bring the Christian faith to everyday life. In 1992, Revell was absorbed by Baker.
The Chosen publishing enterprise began in 1971. In 1985, the company was absorbed into the Revell publishing Group. When Revell was bought by Baker, the Chosen imprint remained as a distinct unit within the newly expanded company.
- "International Booksellers | Baker Publishing Group". Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- Byle, Ann. "The Baker Book House Story". Retrieved June 22, 2022.
- "Baker mission, Baker Book House web". Archived from the original on 2008-02-17. Retrieved 2008-02-15.
- "Baker Publishing Group Acquires Regal Books from Gospel Light". Baker Publishing Group. Christian Retailing. 30 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- Tomlin, Jimy (2 August 2007). "Write". McClatchy - Tribune Business News. ProQuest 459211456.
- "Revell company history, Baker Book House web". Retrieved May 25, 2020.
- "Chosen company history, Baker Book House web". Retrieved May 25, 2020.
- "Brazos mission, Baker Book House web". Retrieved May 25, 2020.
Byle, Ann. (2014). The Baker Book House Story Grand Rapids: Baker Books. ISBN 978-0801016585
Fisher, Allan. (1995). Fleming H. Revell Company: The First 125 Years, 1870-1995. Grand Rapids: Fleming H. Revell. ISBN 978-0-8007-5585-0